The digital age is upon us, and with that comes even more uses for your smart phone. Don’t have Global Entry yet, and tired of waiting in line at customs? Here’s a solution that has recently expanded to its forth airport.
If you’re arriving into Chicago’s O’Hare airport (ORD) you can now submit your arrival information to speed up your arrival process by using the US Customs App. Instead of filling out the paper customs form, you can submit all of your arrival information through an app. This service is also available at Atlanta (ATL), Miami (MIA), and Seattle (SEA).
Here is what you need to do to start using the customs app today:
- Download the Mobile Passport app from Google Play (Android) or the Apple App Store (iOS).
- Create a profile containing your passport information.
- Complete the New Trip section once you arrive in the US which includes taking a selfie and answering the same questions you would answer on the paper customs declaration form.
- Submit the customs declaration form through the app to receive a receipt with a QR code (that square barcode), that is good for four hours.
- You now have access to a special lane (that will hopefully be faster)! Take your passport and receipt with QR code to a customs officer.
Note that you will need WiFi for a cellular connect to be able to submit the form through the app.
Since I have Global Entry I haven’t had a chance to use this service yet, and I also haven’t cleared customs at any of the airports available in recent memory. I think this is a great solution for those of you without Global Entry who are clearing customs in one of the four airports where it currently is in operation, and I would love a comment from anyone who has used it!